If you haven’t used OmniFocus in a while, or if you’ve been experimenting with things and need a change of pace, you might have thought about starting all over from scratch. Here’s how to take your OmniFocus database back to square one!
Reset Database on Mac
- Right-click (or control-click) the document icon in the title bar of your OmniFocus window.
- Click the OmniFocus folder in the drop-down list to open it in Finder.
- Quit OmniFocus.
- Move the OmniFocus.ofocus file elsewhere (if you’d like to keep it), or simply delete it.
- Launch OmniFocus again. You’ll be greeted by our first-launch experience.
- Select the Keep Data Here Only option, then Create a brand new database.
- Check or uncheck the option to add the tutorial project, as you prefer. Then, click the purple arrow to finish up. You’re all set at this point if you weren’t syncing, but if you had configured sync previously, follow the remaining steps.
- If you were previously syncing, set sync back up by going to Menu Bar ▸ OmniFocus ▸ Preferences ▸ Synchronization.
- Choose your sync option, and enter your Account Name. Then, close the Preferences window without pressing Sync. If you receive a sync prompt alerting you to Replace your database and start syncing, press Cancel.
- Select File ▸ Replace Server Database to upload the new blank database to the server.
- On any other devices, sync and choose the Keep Sync Database option from the prompt to download the new blank database from the server.
Reset Database on iOS
- Drag down from near the top of the OmniFocus home screen to reveal the secret bar (on iPhone), or drag down on the home sidebar (iPad and iPhone 6 Plus) to reveal the secret bar.
- Tap Settings in the secret bar.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom, and tap [Reset].
- Tap Reset Database on the next page, and again in the confirmation prompt to proceed.
- You’ll be back at the “Welcome to OmniFocus” screen. Tap Keep Data Here Only to create a new blank local database, then Done. You’re finished at this point if you weren’t syncing, but if you had configured sync previously, follow the remaining steps.
- If you were previously syncing, set sync back up by returning to Settings ▸ Sync Method.
- Choose your sync option, ensure your Account Name is entered and tap Sync to confirm.
- Enter your password, if prompted.
- When prompted to Replace your database and start syncing, tap Keep Device Database to overwrite the server with your new blank database.
- On any other devices where you’re syncing OmniFocus, you’ll see the same prompt the next time a sync occurs. Choose Keep Sync Database to download the new blank database from the server.