OmniFocus 2.12 was released on March 5, 2018, and contains a fix for the following issue. If you’re still experiencing repeated prompts while running this version, please contact us for further assistance.
OmniFocus needs a password to access your Omni Sync Server account, and an encryption passphrase to decrypt the synced copy of your OmniFocus database stored there. For most OmniFocus users, the password and passphrase are the same (linked).
An authentication request is something OmniFocus intends to handle automatically, only asking for more information when necessary. Recently, some OmniFocus users have gotten repeated prompts for authentication. If you see “The server ‘Omni Sync’ requires authentication” prompt pop up more than two times, try the following troubleshooting steps.
Check for correct password
You may be entering an incorrect password. For help recovering your password, please reference: Resolving Omni Sync Server password issues. For help with encryption passphrase issues, please reference: Recovering your OmniFocus encryption passphrase.
Try a Safe Mode Reboot
It sounds like a technical support cliché, but we have seen this help in a lot of situations, especially if you have recently updated your operating system. Instructions for booting into Safe Mode can be found on Apple’s Support site, here. Make sure you reboot into normal mode again after doing this!
Delete Old Keychain Entries
- Make sure you know your current OmniFocus password/passphrase.
- On a Mac, open Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app.
- In the search field, type
- Find entries in the list named
- Delete all the matching Keychain entries.
You will be prompted for your password again the next time you open and sync OmniFocus. Enter your password, and click OK to save the password in your keychain.
Delete OmniFocus, Restart, & Re-install
- Delete OmniFocus by opening a Finder window and dragging the icon from your Applications folder to the trash. This will not delete your database.
- Restart your Mac.
- Download and re-install OmniFocus (from our website or from the Mac App Store).
If you’re still seeing repeated prompts…
…please contact our Support team at email@example.com! We’re always happy to help.